Saturday, March 6, 2010

1st day adenture

March 5th
Holiday Inn – Victoria London
1st day of Ellis shoot

The plane ride was not as nefarious or scary as I had thought. I rather enjoyed the flight to be honest. I sat next to a man named Tim that was in the book publishing business. He was a dapper 45 year old with close cropped hair and dead pan style wit. He was there as a free guest of one of the stewardesses. We talked a lot and he shared his special meals with me, as did the stewardess. You would have hated her, blonde hair in a bun, orange skin, knee high boots. Everything you hate in women. She was very kind though. I took an ambien and had some wine. It gave me a weird high. Things become…oddly focused and brighter. I slept when I could which due to the seats was in about 15 minute intervals. I also watched Up In The Air and didn’t hate it as much.
When we arrived I stepped off the plane onto the tarmac and we were taken to a bus which took us to a customs terminal. I soon made my way through and looked for a train and a SIM card. After the SIM card and a train ticket I was on my way to Paddington station which looks immense. The overarching I beams and glass ceilings give the place a history I have never seen. The air also smells weird here, like porridge and burning petrol. I am not a fan.
I made my way, finally, to the correct train to Victoria. There were all types on the train. I watched as a old woman got on and asked an asian kid if “he wanted to be a gentleman?” He got up and she took the seat next to me. Maybe she didn’t ask me because I was obviously a foreigner. Once at Victoria I tried to use my phone, but the SIM card would not work. I went to a suspicious looking cell phone store where the Indian kid helped me out and sold me a t-mobile SIM card. I called Patrick to find where I needed to go. I was set despite my anger at getting robbed for the first SIM card, fuckers. I stopped and picked up the Red Bull for Ellis. The Indian kid behind the counter admonished me for purchasing so many. He said it was bad for my health. Give me my damn drinks man. I was off again to find the Holiday Inn. Unfortunately I could not find Belgrave Road. Apparently every bloody thing in London is named Belgrave something or other. I walked around Victoria for about an 1 ½ looking for the place. Finally I found a phone booth that accepted credit cards. Oh, did I forget to mention my phone was dead. So, I called Patrick and made my way to the Holiday Inn where I met with Mr Warren Ellis. He is a large imposing man with a grey wiry beard and wears a field hat like Indiana Jones. The interview went smoothly and was hilarious. Warren was great on camera and only once asked us to move off a topic ( his mom). We filmed for about 2 hours and then broke once we could hear Ellis’s stomach growling. We went to eat at a local English pub place. I had a sirloin burger and fries with a London Pride beer. All were incredible. We had many a good laugh with Warren. He was open and an amazing story teller. He could tell you about putting up fuckin wallpaper and you would be enthralled. He has the quickest wit of damn near anyone I have ever met.
After dinner we tried to keep going but quickly lost steam. We packed up and Warren stayed to work. Jordan, Patrick and Amber all went out with a friend and I opted to stay back and write this and sleep. Tired is not even accurate for how I feel. An ancient sleep deity has taken a shit in my skull and is using it to bang out a lullaby for me now. Oh, we cant get the internet to work, so I couldn’t even email you. All in all. It was a good day. I wish you were here. I miss you terribly. London is an odd town full of piss, vinegar and history. It also smells. Did I mention that.

I miss you terribly. I am counting down the hours till I see you again.

Your love,

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment